Sunday, April 11, 2021

Catching all the remaining missed quilts

As mentioned previously I have been going through my excel list of quilts and there are a handful I have never posted about.  Some I didn't take pictures of.  Some are duplicates of previous patterns so really not point in posting (I've made several floating blocks and they all look about the same).  And others just never made it into a post yet.  So in the interest of making this blog a complete reference - here they are.

This is based on the traditional jewel box pattern and used up a bunch of scraps.  The quilt was done in 2012 as a donation quilt.  I need to give this one a try again once I have enough large triangles in the scraps.


I'm surprised I missed posting on this one.  It's called Floating Novelties.  It was a fun quilt to do.  I always enjoy grouping fabrics by color and this one is pretty flashy.  It looks difficult but is actually pretty easy to piece.


This quilt was also done as a donation and specifically to use up some of the pink novelties and fabrics that never seemed to get used out of my stash.  I'm sure a little girl who loves pink loved the quilt - I however wasn't too excited about it. 
 

The pattern for this was called Wild thing by Barbara Groves.  I made a rainbow version a couple of years ago - it is another good way to use up triangles.  Made in 2006 for the daughter of my boss at the time, her favorite color was purple, so I used purple tone on tone fabrics.  

This quilt was one of my first experiments.  I didn't yet know that puffy batting wasn't a good idea and that satin binding was an even worse one.  Even the colors didn't work well.  Ugh. I've learned a lot since 2005.

This quilt idea came from a demonstration I saw several years ago at the AZ quilt retreat, presented by Quilter's lumberyard.  It has some great large blocks but is a bit more complicated due some a few partial seams.  If I make this again I think I'll make the little friendship star around the square in a different color to make the secondary pattern stand out.

I call this one Colorblock.  It uses a combination of 2" & 4" squares.  I completed this one in 2015.  Sometimes I used the same fabric in the 2" squares, but sometimes it is a coordinating fabric - when I could find one that read the same.

This is another Quilter's lumberyard idea called ladders.  It is a great way to use up 2 x 4 rectangles or even piano keys.

I've made this pattern once before, called When I'm 64.  But this version uses only cat fabrics.  I was given a large stack of cat squares and was having trouble using them up as I try not to repeat pictures in my kid quilts  So I decided to put the all cats in one quilt for a co-worker who owned several cats.  Not sure why the pattern was called that, there are only 50 large squares and a lot more small squares.  But it definitely helped use up some of those cat squares.

This last one was a family joke, made for my son.  [He decided to get a tattoo on his leg and thought he had chosen sharks, which was one of his favorite toys as a kid.  But the tattoo turned out to be Koi fish.  I had fabrics for both in my stash, so I made this for him the following Christmas.  Just to help him tell the difference.



Well I think that gets everything caught up and organized.  It is always interesting looking back through older quilts, seeing how my quilts and skills have changed through the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment