Sunday, April 11, 2021

Novelty but not quilts

 I also recently realized I never posted a couple of novelty fabric projects that weren't technically quilts but were still very fun to make.

This soft book was inspired by a blog post by Crafty Staci - linked here quiet-book-of-colors.  Great idea & instructions.  I had purchased a book several years ago with instructions for fabric books that used novelty fabrics but never did make one.  Then I ran across this blog post which was so simple and straight forward.  So I got busy and really enjoyed making it.  

This was made for a friend of my daughter last year for her baby shower (along with a quilt).  Here is the finished cover, which just features a 9 patch showing the 9 colors in the book in tone on tone fabrics.


And here are the 10 pages, one for each color plus a multi-colored page and the back and front covers.  This is before they were sewn together.


I thought it was especially appropriate as the new mom is an art teacher.  It was a fun project, fun to pick out the best fabrics to represent each color.

I also made a two I spy travel games for twin little boys who had joined our church.  They were too old for quilts but thought they might enjoy the fabrics presented as a game.  Momma gave me some ideas of things they were currently interested in and I went hunting through my stash.  I didn't take photos of the games as they weren't particularly pretty (the pictures were the point) but the idea is a very quick and easy one.  If/when I make them again I need to take pictures.  Here is the link to the blog post by Stitched by Crystal- i-spy-toddler-travel-game

This last idea I have not yet made as I think it will take significant time - I will likely do it for someone extra special - perhaps my own someday grandchild (sigh).  Really fun idea though, using a fabric featuring the letter of the alphabet in the shape of the letter itself.  The idea came from a post I saw on Facebook - I don't know this individual, she just posted on a group I was following.  Such a great idea.  I'm guessing she found it somewhere but she didn't reference the source in her post.






No comments:

Post a Comment