Sunday, April 11, 2021

I missed one!

Not sure how but I missed posting about this quilt.  Kind of surprising because I remember spending a lot of time figuring out how to do it.  I think I finished the quilt about the same time I started this blog, so it likely got lost in the shuffle.  I was recently looking through the excel file I keep of my various quilts and blog posts (yes I'm an accountant) and realized I never posted this one.  So here it goes.

This quilt was made for my boss's 1st grandchild in October 2014.  She now has 3 grandkids, all who have their own quilts and she tells me they still love them and play with them, consider them special.  Which is so sweet to hear.

The idea was for this quilt was the pattern Urban Abacus by Sew Kind of Wonderful - I saw several quilts made using this pattern at the Dallas quilt show that year, all made in "contemporary" colors - gray and pastels - bleck.  I didn't want to purchase a special ruler to cut the arc but a friend gave me an extra long arm ruler that I was able to use.  It was fun to be able to use large prints and not have lots of seams.  I struggled with what to make the "strings" out of, settled on a striped fabric that I had previously used for borders.


It turned out well, but I think this one falls in the probably not again list of patterns.  Looking at it now, I should have made the strings narrower and it needs a contrasting inner border.  But Kennedy doesn't mind.  Several months ago her grandma showed me a video of her & her little sister comparing their quilts and finding matching fabrics, getting so excited.  Made me grin from ear to ear.  Sigh.  And that is one of the reasons I keep making these things, imaging little people getting joy and comfort from something I enjoyed making.

No comments:

Post a Comment