Saturday, July 10, 2021

Fun with Secondary patterns

One of the things that I love most about quilting is the secondary patterns that frequently result when putting together simple blocks.  I think that's why I love Kim Brackett's books so much, so many of the blocks are ridiculously simple but result in wonderful secondary patterns.  I just recently bought my 3rd & 4th copies of her books and decided to draft a couple in EQ.  Such simple blocks, but look at the magic that happens when you put them together!  Both of these are from her Scrap-Basket Strips and Squares book.

The block is very simple.  And I'll be able to use some of those waste triangles left from previous projects for the white corners.




Here is the full quilt drawn in EQ.  This one will take some effort to keep the colors in the right places.  I'm still figuring out how to get organized.  The pattern is called Windmills.  Cutting is very fast but putting it together is going to take some thought.  Also normally when I use waste triangles I draw the sewing line on the back of the squared fabric to help me align the triangle.  But I think I may trim the block corner instead with a quarter inch seam and save some time.  I'm going to try that on a few and see how it works.


Here is another block from the same book- very simple.  And I can use some waste triangles from other projects.

And here is what it looks like drawn in EQ.  Since this one is scrappy, the colors can go where ever they end up.  It kind of reminds me of woven candies.  It took me a bit to figure out the blocks on this one, but when I saw how she had done it, I laughed at how simple the block is.



  Such fun.  I'm cutting out strips now for these two and a couple of others.  Stay tuned for the finished tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment