Saturday, July 10, 2021

Not novelty but long time projects that deserve some acknowledgement

I wanted to share these are two applique projects that have been MANY years in the making - or should I say completing.

This first was started in December 2016.  The pattern is Rose window by Eye of the beholder quilts.  I had made a table runner from one of their patterns several years ago and really enjoyed the reverse applique method.  It is constructed where the pattern outline is basted.  Then gradually you cut away the fabric and needle turn under the edge while removing small sections of the basting.  This makes it very portable and easy to work on while traveling.  I started it on a skiing trip to New Mexico with my family.  The applique was finished  in late 2020, then I hand quilted outlining the applique and a simple grid.  I wasn't sure exactly how to finish - it needed something special.  So I asked for suggestions from some quilting friends.  They suggested a corded looped binding.  Hmmm, I had seen those finishes at quilt shows but never attempted one.  So I search the internet, found some blog posts about how others had done it and decided to give it a try.  It wasn't as difficult as it looks, but I doubt I'll ever try one again.  I was definitely glad it was a small piece.  It looks great on my mothers round coffee table in our living room, I am very proud of how it turned out.  






The second quilt was started in 2012.  I wanted a take along project when my daughter and I went to Canada - a trip to celebrate her 21st and my 40th birthday.  The pattern is Fiesta de Talevera designed by J. Michelle Watts who is from Roswell, NM.  I loved the pattern as it reminded me of our time living in Santa Fe where the Talevera style tiles are everywhere.  The pattern has 12 blocks.  But after finishing 4 of them I realized how repetitive they were and decided I didn't want to do any more.  Instead I modified the border blocks to make a corner design and made a medallion layout instead.  The question then was how to quilt it.  I felt I had spent sooooo long on the applique but my quilting skills are pretty basic.  So I packed it away.  Then about a year ago I was visiting with some quilt friends about how many unfinished quilts each of us had.  I mentioned this applique and a friend who does amazing custom quilting said she would like to quilt it for me.  I knew I could trust her to take a good quilt and make it amazing.  I was not disappointed.  It now hangs in the place of honor in my sewing room.



some details of the quilting:











No comments:

Post a Comment