When I first started on this blog journey, I had lots of ideas about what I wanted to discuss. The posts came fast and quick. But as you can tell given my limited posts since February, I'm slowing down. So I thought I'd revisit a few more of my early quilts. Some turned out well, others just didn't. I know the kiddos loved them anyway, but it's helpful for me to think about why some things work better than others.
In the following two quilts I really wrestling with integrating novelty fabrics into a chosen design. I hadn't really figured out yet what patterns worked well with the novelty fabrics. On this pink quilt with flying geese and rail fence blocks, the overall effect feels a little awkward. I hadn't gotten comfortable with contrast or value and I think that's part of why it feels unsatisfying when I look at it now. Also the novelty fabrics feel like an afterthought, rather than an integrated part of the design. I remember struggling with fitting the novelty pictures in the geese (not many small scale prints in my stash at that point).
|Fly Away Home pattern by Touchwood Quilt Design|
|Inspired by sample from Cabbage Rose Quilts, Fort Worth, TX|
This modified BQ2 quilt works much better with the novelty fabrics. There is better contrast and you can get a sense of the pattern/design. The background fabrics support the novelties. They stay "in the background" and I think that and the contrast are why this one works so well. The diagonal secondary design gives it a lot of movement too. Sometimes it's a balancing act when using novelties, between the various novelties and the design of the quilt pattern itself. I have to admit, this one was a happy surprise.
|Modified BQ2 (Maple Island Quilts)|
This drunkards path quilt was very fun except for turning all the little turtle heads and tails. It's a nice idea to make them 3 dimensional but if I ever do this pattern again, they will definitely be machine appliqué. I also wish I had stuck with a more neutral background. I remember I had purchased the purple hoping it would be neutral enough but then struggled with where to use it. I haven't tried a purple background again.
|Speedy by Kelly Davis|
|Traditional Spools Pattern|
Another lesson I've learned. Don't ask Mom what colors to put in the quilt. That pink one at the top of this post was a result of that. I've heard that it matched the nursery very well, but I just didn't enjoy making it, partly because of the constraint of that pink.
Here is another where mom requested a specific color that I struggled with. It needed to be green for a boy (his older brothers are twins and their colors are red and blue). I tried to find a boyish green but was never happy with what I finally chose. I think it is the main reason I was never happy with the quilt. I later made the little boy (a cousin) another one and disregarded the green request. The result was a very happy quilt that I'll talk about at another time (that one needs it's own post).
I have to confess. I have trouble remembering what I've talked about before and which quilts I've posted before. So early in this blogging process I marked all the quilts in my scrap books with post-it flags. As I post a picture of a quilt, I remove the flag. Remember I'm a little obsessively organized sometimes. This post includes early quilts that just haven't fit into earlier discussions easily. I don't want to leave any out after all. There's always something to be learned, even from less than A+ results.
|from Fons & Porter Love of Quilting Magazine|