Monday, January 15, 2018

A series of small unfortunate events....

My quilting friend Shelley suggested I share this on my blog. 

I referred to this quilt in my last post, the pattern is called Slide Show by Adkinson designs.  I pieced this quilt a couple of years ago then put it in my closet to wait for an occasion to gift it.  I have a couple of "occasions" coming up now so I was quilting 2 baby quilts and decided to quilt two others toddler size quilts just because everything was set up on my frame.  On a roll so to speak.  I decided to quilt this Slide Show quilt and put it on display instead of leaving it in the closet.  First of all, I couldn't back it with my usual fleece because the pattern/colors showed through the muslin sashing, so I used batting and some wide backing I had, not really kid themed but oh well.  Then I decided the muslin really needed white thread for the quilting.  Hmmm, I had a spool but it was getting low.  It would probably be enough if I used grey in the bobbin- of course it wasn't.  I was on THE LAST PASS when I ran out.  So rather than order another spool and wait, NOOOO I made due with some regular C&C from my stock.  It broke a couple of times (I thought) but it was only about 2 feet of quilting, I pushed through.  (mistake).  Binding, the binding from my stash I wanted to use of course wasn't long enough and the fabric was now gone.  I decided to make the faux flange.  It looks pretty spiffy but it is more work, but that's ok, I've already put significantly more work into this I spy quilt than I normally do.  Getting the little squares to line up took a lot of figuring and I had to add TOT to the side and bottom of each to get the math to work out.
As I was hand stitching the miters and the label, I noticed something odd.  That darn C&C is actually CUT in several places.  Somehow it cut but kept on stitching (?) so there are about 5 places where there are blank spaces in the quilting, actual breaks in the thread for 2 or 3 stitches.  Really????  Sigh.  OH well, I'll fix it before I gift it.  Darn it.  So Yesterday I decided to hang it in my sewing room, stepped back and noticed.  Hmm why is there 2 black blocks and 2 purple blocks right next to each other?  I would never do that on purpose?   And the TOT that I added to each block to get it to the right size is on the bottom and right of the top 3 rows but the top and left of the bottom 2 rows.  Sigh again.  I put the bottom 2 rows on upside down, flipped that section 180 degrees.  If only I had looked at the quilt before I quilted it, I could have fixed it pretty easily, but not now.  I know you will laugh, but it bothers me every time I look at it.  I have to find a kid to give this to.  But for now I guess I'll call this my OCD failure quilt or my humility quilt, there are so many little silly things wrong with it.  And I spent SOOOOO much extra time on it.  But the colors are pretty from a trotting horse....

I know you can't see the details from this picture, but standing in front of it....  just look away.

1 comment: