Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Sewing room update

While fixing some missing photos in old posts (how does that happen?), I noticed it has been quite a while since I posted an update on my sewing room.  So here's the latest.

Last summer we replaced the carpeting on that side of the house, which required disassembling my long arm and moving everything out of the room.  Including a very heavy, very large fold out sofa.  We had to put it up on end, balanced on the curved arm, and slide it out on a piece of cardboard, twisting as it was pushed through.  It barely fit through the door and it wasn't easy.  Once we got it out, everyone agreed it would stay out.  Since we had first put it in the sewing room to use as a guest room, both our kids have gone to college and moved out.  So we now have two other spare rooms for guests and really don't need to use my sewing room.  Yippee, more room!  Sofa has been sold and two trundle beds are in the kids old rooms.

I decided I really wanted my long arm to be against the opposite wall, with a small walk space between the table & the wall.  We ordered wheels for the table thinking it would be easier to move.  But they are very difficult to adjust the height, so I've not ended up moving it much at all.  There is a small space where I can walk around the back, but I only do so to plug in the machine.

Moving the table opened up the center of the room and makes it more inviting.  I also had room to add a small reclining chair to watch TV.  The cat isn't particularly pleased as he can't sit next to me any more on the sofa.  But he does like sleeping in the chair, mostly because I keep a folded quilt there and everyone knows the best cat trap is a folded quilt.  

I am able to have two machines out for sewing, though I keep one of them lowered in the cabinet and use it as a work surface.  If I am hosting other sewers, I can also open up the back on cabinet and sit someone there, though the rocker has to be moved first (tetris).


I really love being able to walk around my cutting table now.  It lessens the times I'm doing contortions to cut something.

Here is my nice big design wall, hung from a curtain rod using binder clips.  Hey, it works and it's easy to move if I decide to rearrange (again).


One downside to moving the long arm table is the surface is not as convenient to use as a pressing area.  Walking around to the back of the table is very narrow and just too difficult and leaning over from the front hurt my back. I ended up putting my pressing table in the bathroom on the counter.  It isn't in the way if someone does need to use the bathroom and it is nice to have it out of the way - and on a different electrical circuit.  I'm a little nervous about dropping the iron on the tile floor but I found some foam cushioning that I put there to also help with foot fatigue.  I raised the surface above the counter using some 4 x 4 blocks previously used to raise my cutting table (before I got the adjustable one).


I love having the walk-in closet but it would be nice to move the Christmas decorations out - another project. 


I made this applique sign for my door.  The knocker underneath was my mother's who was a pianist & singer.  Welcome to my happy place! 


No comments:

Post a Comment