Wednesday, December 21, 2022

A few new patterns and some old favorites

I recently ran across this fun pattern called Open Options by Material Girlfriends.  The pattern includes so many fun layouts I had to try a few.

Colored circling triangles - this one the circles aren't as obvious in person as they are in the photo but it was fun to make.  It only uses a 4.5" square, a 2.5" x 4.5" & a 2.5" x 6.5" rectangle and lots of triangles.  Oh, and that Simple Folded corners ruler I mentioned in my last post - so Easy - love it.  I did pay attention to my pressing so that I could nest the triangles where they meet between the blocks - I didn't want that seam to be obvious.

This black and white version only uses novelties that read as black or white to try and keep the integrity of the pattern.  It does make your eyes jump around a bit, but it was nice using up some of those black and white novelties that never seem to make it into a quilt. I used that fireworks fabric for the border to add some more color but I didn't get a photo before it was donated to a local charity.  I don't think this one is as successful as the colorful version but still a good trial.


Beth's scraps - this pattern was taught as a workshop by a friend who also collects novelty fabrics.  The pattern works very well with novelties.  Each block uses two 4.5" squares and two four patches.  A design wall was helpful as you need to get the fabric placement laid out before sewing those four patches.  There are lots of layouts possible with this block.



An old favorite - I call it X's & O's or Hugs and Kisses.  Previously I've added sashing to make the X & O patterns more obvious, but this time I just set them together.  It is made with a 4.5" square with the opposite corners cut off in a semi-snowball.  I've made it multiple times through the years but that new ruler sure was helpful - though I did have to experiment a bit to determine how much to trim but still leave a large portion of the novelty.



This next block pattern is called Radiant.  Similar to a log cabin block, it can be used to make many fun layouts.  I have made it once before using a square layout which I really like.  But the zigzag is fun also.  The block is constructed by sewing two full blocks (one with a yellow center, the other with white outside) and cut them in half on the diagonal.  Then pair it with the the alternate block and sew back together.  Last time I just lived with there being a repeat of the fabrics in another block.  This time I just made a second quilt in a different layout - two quilts for the price of one (well sort of).

Radiant Squares


Radiant Zigzag



Large Pinwheels is a simple pattern but very effective with the novelty fabrics.  This is an instance where the piano key border is perfect.  I forgot to get a photo before I gifted to my college roomate for her first grandbaby.  Fortunately she still had it and sent me the photo below.  


Initially this quilt was going to be smaller (see below) but I just was too uncomfortable with the partial pinwheels so I added the additional columns at top & bottom to even things out.  I like it much better though it did make it a very large quilt.  I also experimented with using batting with fleece.  The fleece seemed kind of thing but with the batting it is VERY puffy and snuggly.  I think the quilt will be loved and used for a long time - and it is going to Oklahoma where it gets colder than here in North Texas.



No comments:

Post a Comment