Saturday, December 23, 2017

Tour of Dee's place - my sewing room

If you are a fan of Anne of Green Gables, you'll understand the reference in "Dee's place" - my daughter thinks it is perfect - and it is my refuge.



Please come in and take the tour:

Formerly the master bedroom, this is now my sewing room/guest room after a master suite addition a few yeas ago.  This view shows my main sewing table and an extra portable table on the side - it makes a good t-shaped area for paper piecing and can be easily folded up and put away if needed.  I also have a pressing table made from a TV table I can put on the other side.


I have the sewing tables on slider pads so I can move them out of the way easily. The sofa is a fold out bed for guests, though mostly my husband or daughter sit and visit with me.  When we need the bed, I have to pack away the extra table and move the rocker, but it isn't terribly tight. The rocking chair with the extra light is great for hand work (and Cat loves it for supervising).  The track lighting is wonderful - no shadows.  The design wall is made from foam boards from a home improvement store, covered in fleece and mounted using command strips.  I have since discovered that the fleece sags over time and I've had to reapply it once already.  At some point I'll replace it but at the time it was considerably cheaper than felt.  The curtain rod with clips I originally used to hold a felt backed table cloth for use as a design wall, but the ceiling fan would blow the pieces off and I liked the idea of being able to pin into the wall.  Now I use the curtain rod to hold finished quilts for photographing after I slide the tables out of the way.


This photo shows the book cases and cutting station made with Elfa wire baskets.  I've used these baskets in multiple arrangements over the years.  I love the flexibility as I always seem to be re-arranging.  I have a small cork board to pin misc. items and a small file folder tray for frequently used rulers.  The shallow baskets hold notions and other rulers and thread.


The cutting surface was a little low, so I added spacers made from a 4x4 length of lumber to raise the surface, which also provided some additional storage underneath.  At first I was going to attach them to the surface but everything is heavy enough it stays put well and it gives me the flexibility to move it around if needed.  I have used the 3 x 5 board as a drafting table by sitting it on my mid-arm table and grabbing my old t-square.  Love flexibility.  The shelf has a stick-on florescent to get rid of shadows while cutting and provides a great place for pencils and a scrap basket for trimmings.


Fabric is folded to consistent size to fit in the baskets.  I tried comic boards but didn't like the space they took up - I want it all for fabric.  I like that I can pull out a basket and take it over to the table to look through it.  And it is easy to push the stack over and insert more - some baskets are pretty full.  The thread is store in a utensil tray, with the ends secured to keep it save from Cat.

Cat Cover - also known as sewing machine cover


I have to keep my machine covered or else unthread it as my cat likes to eat thread.  He has had two expense trips to the vet to remove yards of thread from his intestines.  Not a good cat for a quilter, I know.  I cut the box to size and covered it with quilt themes wrapping paper.  I also can't leave my mid-arm threaded unless I chase the cat out and lock the door.  I keep my thread locked away, empty the trash after each session and frequently scan the floor for dropped threads.  Short pieces of thread aren't a problem, it's the long ones that are deadly.  Stupid cat.  But he loves to be in the room with me, supervising.  If I close the door, he sits and meows, sticks his paws under and makes a general pest of himself.


  
I purchased my mid-arm quilting machine and frame from a friend of a friend several years ago.   I love all the storage space under the table.  I've upgraded the rails, arms and roller bars, though some day I would like to get a faster machine.  I have a tendency to move too fast and the stitch regulator can't keep up.  I have a pressing board with removable cover, lightweight and easy to move.  I added spacer boards to the table to protect the table rails when I lay things across as I didn't want to damage the new rails.  I move the rollers over to the far side to give me easier access to the table until I am going to use the quilt machine.  I tend to quilt in batches since I have to be so careful of Cat.  I can't leave the machine threaded and if a quilt is loaded he will walk across it unless I lay foil over it, s once I start quilting, I can't easily leave it for long periods.  It's easier to just get it finished. 


I keep my older zigzag machine and serger in this cabinet and can pull it out when needed, though more often I get my portable machine out and use the table next to my straight-stitch machine.  I bought this cabinet when I was garment and home dec. sewing, but it takes up a lot of space and the storage isn't what I need now, so it mostly is stored away.   It's a great cabinet, just not really what works for me any more. 
View of my closet.  I have a fold away cutting table that I don't use much now.  At one time my sewing area was in a corner of my kitchen so it was helpful to be able to fold it up small.  I still sometimes pull it out into the bathroom area if I need a large cutting surface but it is a tight squeeze.  The labeled boxes store notions, fabric strips, other craft supplies.  
Here is the other side of the closet where I have hanging storage and a file cabinet.  The cabinet holds papers, additional supplies and patterns.

I also have rolled backing and bolts in the corner by the files.  If I have more than a couple of yards of fabric, I prefer to put it on bolts so that it doesn't take up so much space in the baskets.

I know I am very fortunate to have such a great space to sew and quilt.  Thanks for visiting.








2 comments:

  1. Dee your tour is really nice. I do love your sewing area and am glad that I have been able to see it in person. Guess the cat really rules your room there but he sure is sweet.

    Merry Christmas to you and your family! We are having Christmas in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your room is Wonderful Dee & I do love Anne of Green Gables! Oh your decoupaged case came out fabulous!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete