Tuesday, June 18, 2024

The Early Years - General quilts

 In my last post, I mentioned I keep a spreadsheet of information on my quilts over the years.  I happened to filter on blog dates and realized there were a number of non-novelty quilts that weren't documented (other than the spreadsheet & photos).  Since I'm no longer keeping a physical binder scrapbook, I've decided to add some posts to document those early efforts.  

I'll start with my kids baby quilts.  Technically at the time I didn't really consider these quilts.  Both of these were remade when they graduated to big kid beds, so the fading is worse in the center section.  I removed the binding and quilting, then added additional fabric to make them twin size.  I was surprised how much the binding had worn, even though it was doubled & bias.  I also had used poly batting and it definitely had worn in places.  I guess that's what happens with frequent washing.  Both these have been very well loved and are still favorite cuddle blankets.



Both my kids also wanted to try making a quilt when they were in elementary school.  My daughter's is music themed.  As I recall she ended up only picking out the fabric and was afraid to use the sewing machine.  For my son's quilt, he did sew the rail blocks and I was worried about him getting speeding tickets once he learned to drive.


My earliest true quilt is one I call "first and almost last".  I had gotten a VHS tape from a crafters book club titled "Lap quilting with Georgia Bonesteel".  I loved the piecing part of the process, but got very bored with the hand quilting.  No one had warned me not to make a king size quilt for my first.  About half way through the quilting, I packed it away.  Years later when I was introduced to quilting using rotary cutters and templates, I pulled it out and finished it.  I DID not like putting the quilted pieces together and have stayed away from quilt as you go projects ever since.  Several of the fabrics have faded from black to dried blood red, the red bled on the white, and the puffy poly batting hasn't worn well.  And of course by the time it was finished, I really didn't like it any more.  But it is done and gets used as a packing blanket periodically. 



After discovering quilting using rotary cutters and templates at a church sew day, I went looking for a local quilt shop.  There I saw this pattern which used fusible grid & 2" squares.  For years this was just a top with no quilting, but eventually I felt kind of silly that it wasn't truly a quilt.  So I added batting, quilting and a real binding.  I still hang it each Christmas. 



One of the early books purchased is called Sensational Scraps and is all 2 color quilts using half square triangles.  It's a fun book and I still have it though I've only made one quilt from it.  This quilt rides in my car and my kids think it's the softest quilt I own.

I tried to figure out this next pattern from a photo in a magazine before I knew anything about paper piecing.  I don't remember how I managed those corner pieces but I'm guessing I drew them out using my drafting skills (before I was an accountant, I was a draftsman).  I had gotten a number of fat quarters from the LQS special new years day sale.  As I remember there are a number of eyelashes on the back in the quilting.  My niece has this hidden away somewhere and I'm sure if I saw it in person now I'd been itching to fix it.  Looking at it now, I'm a little impressed I was able to figure it out without a pattern.



This one isn't "early" but it doesn't really fit in any other category so I'll show it here.  And it isn't really a true quilt either - very minimal quilting.  In 2014 my son decided he wanted the Softest quilt in the world.  So I made him a quilt from boxers (purchased new in XXXXL and washed) and backed with microfiber.  He didn't want much quilting as the thead reduced the softness (he words).  It was very soft, but it's not held up well.  The backing has pilled and the boxers have ripped.  But he still loves it. 



Isn't that a great smile!  My kids have been very patient about my quilting habit.  And my daughter continues to go with me to quilt shows, even one year to Houston.  She still doesn't like to sew but appreciates every quilt I make for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment