Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Some additional non-novelty projects in 2023

 These projects don't have anything in common, other than I was trying some different patterns out this year, some new and some traditional.  Some were trying new methods and I learned something on almost all of them.

The first quilt was commissioned by my sister for her grandson.  She purchased the precuts & panel from the Fat Quarter shop and enticed me to put them into a quilt.  I learned a lot about precuts (they shrink differently cross grain than lengthwise when you starch don't don't count on the full size of the precut.  And quilting a panel is NOT the same as quilting pieced blocks - start in the center to avoid tucks on the back.  And how to use every single bit of fabric available to make a full quilt.  It was a fun challenge, though frustrating at times.  I know Beckett loves his quilt though.


This quilt was commissioned by my son.  He wanted me to make a quilt for a coworker going through cancer.  He took the album squares to work for signatures before I pieced them into the quilt.  Another coworker quilted & bound it, then it was presented and displayed at work.


This pattern was by J. Michelle Watts, a door prize from her workshop at QGPC in 2022.  I had originally made a table topper for my round table using reverse applique, hand quilting & detailed binding.  However that quilt was "lost" during the Christmas holidays in 2022.  So to ease my despair, I made another topper for the round table.  I used some batiks that had been in my stash for years.  I was pleased with the way it came out and it looks well with the gray/blue sofa.  The contrast isn't as much as I had thought it would be once it was done but still a fun pattern.  But I was ecstatic when my other quilt was found when I pulled out the Christmas decorations in December 2023.   This one will make an occasional appearance but for now I'm enjoying having the applique one back.


This project is "in the works".  I had volunteered to coordinate the raffle quilt for the QGPC show in September 2024.  The fabrics are batik strips donated by guild members and we had two sew days to put them together.  I then stitched them together at the guild retreat in November.  The picture below is the blocks on my design wall before stitching into the top.  It will be a very dramatic quilt and hopefully generate a lot of raffle sales.  The pattern is Flower Blossoms by Kim Brackett from her Scrap Basket Sensations book. 

Under the heading of finishing other people's projects, these fabric strips were rescued from the donation table.  I decided to make another Jagged X pattern by Donna Jordan.  I learned the importance of an accurate 1/4" seam on that diagonal, especially when working with strips that weren't all cut accurately.  I love how it turned out though when sewing it was a little frustrating.


This pattern called Rolling Waves was a free pattern from McCallsQuilting.com, designed by Jane Koelker.  It was very easy to make, using strip piecing.  I didn't want to purchase fabrics to try this, so I just used left over backing fabrics.  When done it needed something to brighten it up so I added the rust border.


I decided I wanted to make a bag to carry my featherweight to sew days.  I purchase this pattern from Quiltessa on Etsy.  The ideas in the bag were great, but the instructions were not.  Still I got it finished.  It is nice to carry and the zipper corners are cool but the pocket in front isn't particularly usable. I quilted the fabric for the outside.





After using the bag above for a while I decided I needed a freestanding tool bag.  I found this pattern by Bodobo bags called Stitcher's Dream bag.  The instructions and illustrations were very clear and it was fun to make.  I still had fabric left from the FW bag, so I made this one to match.  The top folds down to make it easy to reach the tools inside.



And one more "finishing someone else's project.  These black and white triangles were all cut and many of the assembled.  But the person who donated them got frustrated and put them on the give away table.  Again I really came to appreciate the importance of an accurate 1/4", a good learning opportuniaty (lol).  I didn't care for the pattern that was with the fabric so I came up with my own layout.  Not sure but I think it needs a border of some kind but I don't have any more of the fabrics.  This one will age for a bit in the closet before it's quilted.


For the QGPC auction in September, we had a country store.  I agreed to make some wall clocks for the store.  They were very popular and sold quickly to guild members.   The photos below are before the clock hands were added.






No comments:

Post a Comment