Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Novelties in 2023

 And one more post for 2023!  I did actually make some novelty quilts in 2023, in between the donation quilts and other projects.  This first one is from Kim Bracket's Scrap Basket Sensations book, one of my favorite books.  This inspired me to suggest it for the guild's raffle quilt.  The next thing I knew I was coordinating the raffle - never ask a question or make a suggestion in a guild or it will be considered volunteering!


This starburst pattern was one I had seen at a quilt show.  It was made using matched half square triangles.  The layout was a little tricky.  Fortunately I have a good design wall and my little numbered felt flags saved me from having to rip much.


This was another pattern from a Kim Bracket book.  I used 2.5 x 4.5 precuts, arranged in color families.  It was so busy the only border that worked was my "go to", piano keys.


This diagonal colors was a fun one to put together.  It was from 4.5 precuts with a small triangle in one corner.


It has been many years since I've done this heart block.  The guild president's challenge this year was hearts, so I knew what I needed to use.  This quilt was auctioned at the QGPC fall auction.


I wanted to use up scraps from a couple of wide backings.  This pattern looks very difficult but it is not since it uses folded triangle corners instead of Y-seams.  I haven't made it in several years and wanted to try it again.  I think the mitered border was a nice touch, adding to the optical illusion of depth.


This was a fun pattern for a sew day.  I could sew and talk at the same time without having to think too much.  It is made using 2.5" x 4.5" rectangles in rounds alternating white & colored.  I cut my novelty scraps in 2.5" x 4.5" & 2.5 x 2/5" sizes so I just went thru my scraps.  I tried to limit the repeats but didn't worry too much if a few occurred twice.


This pattern is by an internet friend of mine from Australia.  She once sent me authentic Kangaroo novelty fabric from Australia.  Her pattern is called Emeralds and is available from her Etsy shop.  The pattern was very well written.  I modified it some to use multiple colors and I offset each column to make the secondary pattern.  I enjoyed making it, but pressing the seams was a challenge as many of them need to be pressed open to avoid excessive bulk at the points.


This pattern is Watercolors by Ledine Watson at Sugar Stitches Quilt Co.  Normally I would have used a bright white background but I thought I'd try gray.  Not completely happy with it, I keep wishing I had chosen a lighter gray to give more value contrast.  The pattern was fun to do - but LOTS of flying geese.


I found this free pattern on Jordanfabrics.com, called Log Jam.  It designed by Robert Kaufman fabrics to showcase batik jelly rolls. I think it worked great for novelties and it went together quickly.  The strips are 2.5" x 6.5", with folded corners on oppose sites of the block.  When to put together, they make a great zigzag effect.


Using up scraps - I've seen this called Jewel Box.  Each block is made from 2 half square triangles and two 4 patches.  The arrangement of the 4 patches gives it the Irish chain look.  I may add a border at some point if I decide I want it larger.


This pattern is called Tangled by Alyson Harris.  The original pattern uses one fabric in each block for the "strings".  This creates interwoven squares made up of 4 colors.  Watching a lady work on it at retreat, I thought it might be fun to make the large squares out of a single color.  Planning this out and organizing it was a real challenge.  I had to have a chart, a graph, and label each fabric as I cut it.  It turned out pretty nice.  But if I make it again, I will make it like the pattern calls with one color in each both. I also think it needs a border but right now I'm a little tired thinking on this one.  It needs to "age" a while.


At first I thought I had donated this last quilt before I took a picture.  But then I looked through the quilts finished but not yet donated and there it was.  Phew, that was close.  I've made this pattern before but it has been a long time.  The name is Ladders designed by Lumberyard quilts.  Nice and easy, it is a great pattern to use up some scraps.  And I got to use some of those white novelties that are so hard to use.


 And there are my 50 projects/quilts for 2023.  Not sure how I was able to get so many done.  I guess I just don't work on much else and we didn't travel because we have a new puppy.  So I sewed.  I also have quilted and bound approximately two dozen charity tops that were pieced by others.  At one point I decided there were too many tops hanging in my closet.  I quilted and bound 15 quilts all in a row.  I actually had only 2 unquilted tops left after that quilting binge.  But that was a few months ago and the number is growing.  Of course.  I do love this hobby!

1 comment:

  1. I just found you! I love scrap quilts and you do wonderful things with scraps. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete